Posts Tagged ‘videos’
Nikki and the Robots is now on Steam Greenlight™ and we sure hope that it will get enough Thumbs Up to join the comfortable cross-platform player community soon!
It might end up being the first piece of software on Steam that is open source code and written in Haskell.
By the way, if you happen to speak German: we have been interviewed by Pixelmacher and will appear for four minutes on German TV (ZDF.Kultur on Monday 26th Nov 2012, 22:30 - 23:00 GMT+1) and more material will be available on pixelmacher.tv for two weeks after that.
We are proud to announce the release of "Nikki and the Robots Story Episodes".
Nikki and the Robots Story Episode 1 screenshots (more)
Join Nikki on a secret mission to fight the evil Dr. Lacroix. Test your skills in stunning platformer action and exciting puzzles — with the help of a variety of futuristic robots.
You can get the free part of the game (version 1.0) from our download page. For purchasing the Story Episodes visit:
For a limited amount of time the price for the Story Episodes will be pay what you want. So don't hesitate too long! And be generous: The Joyride Laboratories need money to produce further episodes. If you don't have a credit card or bank account, there are some alternative payment methods.
- Nikki's Story Episodes are now available
- Buy them at buy.joyridelabs.de
- Spread the word!
Nikki and the Robots: Story Episodes
Buy the cute Überpixel™ style platformer now!
outrageously blatant self-promotion
Here is the new Nikki and the Robots 0.5 Beta(!) release (download here).
We're working on a preorder web page, which is open source under AGPL and hosted here.
The changes explained in the video (and some that were left out) are as follows:
- Info terminals instead of text bubbles in tutorial
- Falling tiles take a little longer to start falling
- Batteries have a little less mass
- Switches are easier to trigger
- Added laser robots and laser endpieces
- Cannon-robot sounds
- Boost sound for jetpack robot
- GUI/OSD and Controls:
- Added keyshints in game mode
- Allow configurable game keys (jump and context) to control the menu
- Main menu will notify you about the availability of the story mode
- Mac OS X: default jump key is space
- In-game OSD shows total number of batteries in level
- "..."-bubbles when nikki can start npc/computer monolog
- Added "retry level" menu item to failure menu
- Added retry-option to pause menu
- Level editor:
- Added gray level template
- Better layer insert and delete control
- Game art sources added to source code repository
- Bugfixes on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows that prevented many users from running the game
We added a neon pixel heart design to our shirt store. It is based on one of the first game objects that you will see when playing Episode 1 of the story mode:
One of us was at the Global Game Jam in Berlin as an organizer.
The theme was a snake biting its own tail and we made a tiny level referencing it. Too late for submission though. ;)
The video also shows the recently added game over screen menu (no more abrupt returning to the level selection) and a new, simple background for the editor.
We released Nikki and the Robots 0.4.0 (0.4.1.1 actually), which you can download here or via in-game updater.
The new features are:
- New robot: Cannon! It shoots cannon balls that disappear after 10 seconds
- Players can download and upload levels in the main/editor menus
- Author name and license agreement added for saving/uploading levels
- Sounds added for menu, jumping, buttons and batteries
- Last level switch to be pressed now blinks green
- Added "transient" switches (won't stay pressed)
Some news not directly related to the release:
The winners are
- Julian (for Greed) [Shirt + Game]
- sauer2/C. Hackenberg (for lootninja, hanoi, powergrid and obstacles) [Shirt + 4xGame]
- Jukkeri (for Trick Series 02) [Shirt + Game]
- pixma (for robopractice) [Game]
- 2048 Terrabit (for Robot Race) [Game]
- Marius Ghita/mhitza (for stairway to heaven) [Game]
- 3sdras (for Geronimo) [Game]
New in 0.3.3:
- Added 30 levels from the first level design contest (in standard levels/03-contest1)
- Jetpack robot physics tweaked again
- Level names are now sorted correctly
PS: you can download the levels without changes here.
Soon after the end of the first level contest we released Nikki and the Robots 0.3.2, which you can download here or via the update menu option of your copy.
The new features are:
- New Patrol Robots, which will make Nikki fail the level when touched
- Jetpack Robots are more forgiving and easier to control
- No more editor crashes when Nikki has not been added
- Signature checks for updates (heightened updater security - not gameplay-relevant)
A few words about the contest judging: we will announce the winners in approximately ten days. We received some last-minute levels and are very thankful to all level builders who shared their works.
At the time of writing, there are approximately 64 hours left if you want to submit levels to the level design contest to win one of three T-shirts and pre-orders of Nikki and the Robots.
Contest Levels 2.5 - See as real table here
My feeling was that robots were under-used in the contest. The statistics show that I'm wrong. What surprised me however is the average 530 objects per level (the current average object count in levels shipped with Nikki and the Robots is 170). Makes me feel lazy. :)
We have been tweaking physics and controls lately in preparation for the next release. (check out this horrible recording of horrible jetpack test physics :) ).
I'm curious if the last days of the contest will spawn many awesome levels. I guess I have to hope for bad weather..